The shapes available are described in many published standards worldwide, and a number of specialist and proprietary cross sections are also available.
- I-beam (I-shaped cross-section - in Britain these include Universal Beams (UB) and Universal Columns (UC); in Europe it includes the IPE, HE, HL, HD and other sections; in the US it includes Wide Flange (WF or W-Shape) and H sections)
- MS Angle (L-shaped cross-section)
- MS Channel, or C-beam, or C cross-section
- Tee (T-shaped cross-section)
- MS Flats - Bar, a long piece with a rectangular cross section, but not so wide so as to be called a sheet.
- Rod, a round or square section long compared to its width; see also rebar and dowel.
- Open web steel joist
While many sections are made by hot or cold rolling, others are made by welding together flat or bent plates